Governor Kevin Stitt's Favorability Rating Sinks Below 50%
Governor Kevin Stitt was elected with 54.3% of the vote in the 2018 general election but, three years into his administration, Stitt has lost the support of many of the Oklahomans who voted for him in 2018. New data from SoonerPoll shows less than half of Oklahomans now have a favorable opinion about Governor Stitt.
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE TOPLINES AND CROSSTABS
SoonerPoll surveyed 299 likely voters -- Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and Independents -- across the state. The survey is stratified to represent Oklahoma's likely voter population.
[QUESTION] I’m going to read you a list of individuals or organizations. For each one, please tell me if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion.
Governor Kevin Stitt:
1. Very Favorable: 18.8%
2. SomeWhat Favorable: 28.2%
COMBINED FAVORABLE: 47.0%
3. Neutral/Don’t Know: 8.9%
4. Somewhat Unfavorable: 14.8%
5. Very Unfavorable: 29.3%
COMBINED UNFAVORABLE: 44.1%
Governor Stitt’s combined favorability rating of 47.0% barely eclipses his combined unfavorability rating of 44.1%. The difference between those numbers is within the survey’s margin of error of+/- 5.67%.
Republicans participating in our poll have a very positive impression of Kevin Stitt with 32.6% considering Stitt very favorable and 48.9% finding him somewhat favorable. With a combined 81.5% approval rating among Republicans, Stitt appears well positioned to fend off any primary challengers in 2022.
Democrats seem to dislike Stitt just as much as Republicans like him. 88.5% of Democrats in our survey have a negative view of the Governor. Sixty-five percent of Democrats have a very unfavorable impression of him while 23.5% have a somewhat unfavorable view. Only 7.0% of Democrats view Stitt favorably.
Independents are divided on their perception of Governor Stitt. A plurality of Independent voters, 39.0%, either don’t know or feel neutral about him. However, a combined 50.2% of Independents find Stitt very or somewhat unfavorable.
Just 8 months into his first term, Stitt had a 66% favorable rating. With this current poll result, Stitt has fallen 19 points in the past 13 months.
About the Poll
SoonerPoll.com, Oklahoma’s public opinion pollster, asked these questions of Oklahoma likely voters as part of the SoonerPoll Quarterly Poll.
The scientific study was conducted from July 21-August13, 2021 with 300 likely Oklahoma voters selected at random statewide from a tri-frame of both landline telephone and cell phones, plus SoonerPoll's proprietary online panel. The sample was weighted by age, gender, and congressional district in order to reflect the Oklahoma likely voter population for a general election. The weighting was conducted using a 'layered technique.'
The sample reflects the traditional demographical profile of the Oklahoma likely voter with roughly half of respondents identifying as conservative and attending religious services once or more per week. The study has a Margin of Error (MoE) of ±5.67 percent.
A complete description of the methodology can be found here.
Photo by Enid News Eagle