July 31, 2023
Bill Shapard

Oklahomans Strongly Oppose Teacher-Led Gender Transitions Without Parents

Nearly eight-in-ten likely voting Oklahomans oppose teachers guiding or helping their students to transition to the opposite sex without the parents' knowledge or consent, according to the most recent SoonerPoll Quarterly Poll. More than 69 percent strongly opposed.


The question was asked among a series of other questions dealing with transgender issues.

[QUESTION: SUPPORT OR OPPOSE] "Do you SUPPORT or OPPOSE teachers guiding or helping their STUDENTS UNDER THE AGE OF 16 transition to the opposite sex without parental consent or knowledge?"

  1. Strongly support 7.0%
  2. Somewhat support 7.5
  4. Don't know 6.7
  5. Somewhat oppose 9.7
  6. Strongly oppose 69.1

Nearly all of the Republicans in the sample, 98.4 percent, opposed the non-parental actions by teachers with 94.3 percent strongly opposing. More than half, 56.7 percent, of Independents opposed it as well with 43.9 percent strongly opposing. A plurality, 48.1 percent, of Democrats opposed with 28.6 percent strongly opposing, but slightly more than one-in-three, 34 percent, supported teachers helping young students change genders without parental consent.

Every respondent in the sample who identified as very conservative answered the question strongly opposed. with 95.7 percent of those who identified as somewhat conservative. Among moderates, 59.6 percent were strongly opposed, and another 22.6 percent were somewhat opposed, with a combined opposition among moderates at 82.2 percent.

Support was centered among the very liberal. Of those who identified as very liberal, 64.2 percent supported teachers keeping parents of young children in the dark while transitioning their kids to the opposite sex. Only 28.5 percent of those who identified as somewhat liberal supported it.

Both men and women strongly opposed, as well as strong majorities in all of Oklahoma's congressional districts, although the smallest majority, 52.5 percent, was in the Fourth District where the University of Oklahoma is located.

More than 34 percent of those aged 18-24 strongly opposed with a plurality, 41.5 percent, supporting it. But this changed quickly as the age cohort increased with 50.2 percent of those age 25-34 opposing it and 69.6 percent of those age 34-44. It would appear that those most likely to be parenting children not only oppose it, but the level of strong opposition increases substantially among this group.

About the Poll, Oklahoma’s public opinion pollster, asked these questions of Oklahoma likely voters.

The scientific study was conducted from June 1-4, 2023 with 302 likely Oklahoma voters selected at random statewide from SoonerPoll's proprietary online panel. The sample was weighted by education, age, and congressional district in order to reflect the Oklahoma likely voter population for a general election. The weighting was conducted using a 'layered technique.'

The sample reflects the traditional demographical profile of the Oklahoma likely voter with roughly half of respondents identifying as conservative and nearly a third identifying as Moderate. The study has a Margin of Error (MoE) of ±5.65 percent.

A complete description of the methodology can be found here.

Bill Shapard
About the Author

Bill Shapard

Bill is the founder of and ShapardResearch, a full service market research firm based in Oklahoma City. Bill began his career in polling after working on major campaigns for both Republicans and Democrats in Oklahoma from 1996 until founding SoonerPoll in 2004.