Statewide
|
October 14, 2016
|
Bill Shapard

News9/Newson6: Poll: State Question 777 'Right To Farm'

BY KELLY OGLE, NEWS 9, Photo by Marsh Williams from Pexels

Exclusive News 9/ News on 6 poll results on where voters stand on State Question 777, otherwise known as "Right to Farm”. The question would give added legal protection to Oklahomans who farm and ranch.

The poll found that 49 percent of likely voters support 777 while 36 percent are opposed. And 15 percent of Oklahoma voters remain undecided.

One of the most hotly debated points surrounding 777 is whether it would give too much legal protection to the, quote, Right to Farm.

ContinuedClick here to read and watch the entire News9/Newson6 story

[box] Also on the ballot with be state question 777 which would amend the state constitution to exempt Oklahomans working in agricultural or livestock production from any new farming laws unless there is a compelling state interest. Do you: [PROBE: STRONGLY/SOMEWHAT]

1. Strongly support34.92. Somewhat support14.43. Don't know/refused [DNR]14.84. Somewhat oppose11.85. Strongly oppose24.2

[/box]

Additional Take-aways from the poll results:

  • Greatest support is among Republicans where 40.9% strongly support it and another 17.4% somewhat support, with a combined 58.3%. Only a combined 39.2% of Democrats support it, and 45.6% of Independents.
  • Again, greatest support among conservatives with 57.1%, but only 43.2% of moderates and 33.9% of liberals.
  • Support is similiar among men and women, but women are 8 points more likely to be undecided on the state question.
  • Support is weakest among middle-aged, working adults, and bearly a majority of those 65 and older, which is the largest age group in the electorate.
  • SQ777 had the highest percent of those undecided among the state questions tested.
  • As expected, SQ777 performs best in the rural parts of the state, yet only 45.2% of voters in Tulsa's 1st congressional district supported the measure, and only 31% of Oklahoma City's 5th congressional district.

About the Poll

SoonerPoll.com, Oklahoma’s public opinion pollster, conducted the poll of Oklahoma likely voters, which was commissioned by News9 and Newson6.

The scientific study was conducted October 6, 2016 with 403 likely Oklahoma voters selected at random statewide from a frame of landline telephone and conducted using IVR (Interactive Voice Response) technology. The sample was weighted by age and congressional district in order to reflect the Oklahoma likely voter population for a general election.

The sample reflects the traditional demographical profile of the Oklahoma likely voter with roughly half of respondents identifying as conservative and attending religious services once or more per week. The study has a Margin of Error (MoE) of ± 4.88 percent.

Bill Shapard
About the Author

Bill Shapard

Bill is the founder of SoonerPoll.com and ShapardResearch, a full service market research firm based in Oklahoma City. Bill began his career in polling after working on a major campaign in Oklahoma from 1996 until founding SoonerPoll in 2004.